Before and after coronavirus - Friends from 17 countries tell their stories



Sprache/Languages: Deutsch, English

🇩🇪 in Kürze

🇬🇧 We watch and read every day on the news that as the coronavirus pandemic continues to grow and evolve, millions of people have been infected or died on the past months. It reached the point that the death toll and number of sick people became mere statistics... it got all too impersonal for such a heartbreaking situation.

I myself have been self-isolating at home for weeks in Stuttgart, Germany, but what about someone in Indonesia? Or Mozambique? Or Nicaragua? I know, I know... I could simply open a search engine and read about whatever the news articles have to say, which usually are all the same... reports on death toll, lockdown measures, economic impacts... But it is not what I wanted.

Knowing I have friends all over the world, I found myself wondering how they have been dealing with quarantine - that is, if they are even in quarantine. So I decided to reach out to some of them, and listen to what they had to say.

I asked them what was behind the statistics from their home countries. I wanted to learn their real, personal stories and struggles while dealing with the crisis. And I am lucky to know so many nice, open people. I received almost immediately many 'yeses'. Most of those to whom I talked to were willing to tell their stories right away. In total, I have got personal reports by 37 different people from 28 countries (every continent except for Antarctica), out of which 17 are available in English and German. And I can only say that I am very touched by the result.

The more people started sharing their stories with me, the more I could find  similarities among them – even though most of those people have never met each other before and are continents apart. At some point, as you will see below, no matter where they were reporting from, many friends have been simply experiencing the same anxieties, fears and sometimes even the same hope, for example, that we will become kinder by the end of this.

Some stories are of course simply heartbreaking as we learn how the coronavirus caused people to put their lifetime dream on hold after borders were closed; how it made the lives of poor communities even harder due to lockdowns, which prevent them to go out for work when it is the only way they can make means meet the ends; or to the extent of how dictatorial governments shamelessly show that they have total disregard for the lives of their people by either denying the dangers of the virus or even faking the number of infected/death cases. But there are also inspiring stories of how people are getting though quarantine and how it has changed us - like a friend mentioned, "despite we interact with less people, such interactions feel more real, and deeper than ever before".

But I shall stop here with the spoilers... I invite you to read the stories below, share and maybe learn from them. The stories are available in English and German. For those who can read Spanish and Portuguese, please click here. I will provide translation of all stories into English soon.

Many thanks and enjoy your reading!


  1. Aserbaidschan (Azerbaijan) 🇩🇪
  2. Bangladesh 🇧🇩 (English)
  3. Belgien (Belgium) 🇬🇧
  4. Frankreich (France) 🇺🇸
  5. Georgien (Georgia) 🇩🇪
  6. Indonesien (Indonesia) 🇩🇪
  7. Israel 🇩🇪
  8. Italien (Italy) 🇬🇧 🇩🇪
  9. Kanada (Canada) 🇬🇧 
  10. Nicaragua 🇩🇪
  11. Nigeria 🇳🇬 (English)
  12. Österreich (Áustria) 🇦🇹
  13. Peru 🇩🇪
  14. Russland (Russia) 🇩🇪
  15. Südafrika (South Africa) 🇩🇪
  16. Uganda 🇺🇬 (English)
  17. Vereinigte Staaten (U.S.A.) 🇺🇸




Aserbaidschan


Bayim Quliyev


🇩🇪 Deutsch

Hallo Jana. Danke dir. Mir gehts gut. Es ist wirklich wir haben schon lange net gesprochen schade gel? Also ja wegen des Quarantäne bleiben wir zu Hause. In ganzen Aserbaidschan ist Quarantäne. die Schulen., Universitäten u.s.w arbeiten nicht. Man darf aus dem Haus nicht rausgehen, wenn es unnötig ist. Die Regierung gibt die Arbeitslosen Menschen Geld, damit sie ihre Familie ernähren können. Ich bin Lehrer. Sitze seit 8 März zu Hause. Aber wir, die Lehrer, bekommen unsere Lohn. In Aserbaidschan sind bis jetzt 8 Personen von Kovid 19 gestorben.

Bayim Quliyev


Bangladesh


Shaharin Elham Annisa, Bangladeshi-Omani 


🇧🇩 English

Growing up in Oman, I never thought I'd spend longer than two weeks in Bangladesh, where I was originally born. Call it coincidence or luck, somehow my family and I travelled from different parts of the world to Bangladesh, aiming to stay just one week for a wedding... This was a week before the world went upside down...

I remember clearly, while walking all dressed up to the venue of the wedding - "My god there is no place to walk! My god, why is this place so crowded? Why can’t these people just stay home?" I was frustrated to see the crowd, to hear all the mumbling, screaming and loud laughter. It was driving me crazy...

It took only one week. Over night, there was news of a lockdown. The army, navy and air force all teamed up and were out sending people home. First the small shops closed, then the bigger ones... Then everything shut down expect the pharmacies and essential grocery stores... The noises shut down... In a week, all the vendors were gone from the streets, no traffic... No waking up with the loud calls of vendors downstairs. It was like as if someone turned on the mute button...

Gradually, one day extended to the next, to weeks and finally months... now, it is surreal not to have sunlight, it is surreal not to have a tea in the corner street: it is surreal to only hear the cries of the hungry street dogs that no one feeds... Today, I crave for those crowded, loud streets that annoyed me so much month and a half ago; I crave to hear all those thousands of kinds of noises... I crave to people’s lives, to feel life...

And now I crave for simple things like coffee every morning, a walk to work, reading a book in the library...

However, in these times you see how strong the social capital of Bangladeshi neighborhoods can be. An entire system of safety organically took birth within hours of the first lockdown. People of our building got together and put up a fund and a system... only one person takes a list of the groceries the building needs and goes out to buy them. People take turns…

Small veg vendors come twice a week and supply vegetables to the building... We don’t have a lot of essential things like milk, eggs, bread, ginger, but what we do have is a strong sense of community... After the first month, the rooftops of buildings started to sprout life. Just before evening prayers, people now gather in different rooftops, either exercising or having tea or simply standing there... Simply enjoying the small things in life...

Shaharin Elham Annisa


Belgien


Jeremy Zeh


🇬🇧 English

There were similar measures taken here in Belgium as in Germany and other European countries. I arrived here Beginning of March and on the next day, in the evening I was supposed to go back, the measures were put into action from 12 AM. My flight was late at night and for the reason that I would have arrived after 12 I couldn't bord. At first I was mad about it, as I didn't have too much money with me, plus still all my things and a job in Prague. Looking back on it now I'm quite happy though. At least I'm spending the confinement with the person I love most and otherwise we night not have seen each other for months.

We went out that night wanting to go to a bar. I remember that everyone including us was still thinking that it won't be taken too seriously. But then we arrived at the bar at 12 AM and they were actually closing down. The police even arrived to make sure everyone is leaving the bar and sent people home. Funny enough I wasn't bothered too much by the measures at first, but rather enjoyed the time I got to spend on my relationship and reflecting upon myself. Now that we're almost 2 months into the state of emergency, I start craving a beer on tap in a bar, dancing on a rave or just the social contact. Also what really makes me sad is all festivals this summer being canceled. My girlfriend and I have a house with garden though, which makes it much more bearable than sitting in a studio apartment together, as some of my friends do.

My fears for the future are that we for one will go to a huge financial crisis and period of recession after this.

Plus it will make many small businesses shut down and further manifest the monopoly of big companies and multinational corporations.

Overall it will cause the distribution of wealth to be even more unequal than it already is and mostly the poor will suffer from the aftermath.

Jeremy Zeh


Frankreich


Lucan Mameri, Montpellier


🇬🇧 English 

My experience with the Corona virus outbreak was epic, a mixture of relief, luck and fear. I was in Italy (Naples) for 4 months when I received the news that I could return home in France. 20 days after returning home, the virus spread across Italy. I was really lucky that I came back just in time before the borders were closed, otherwise I would need to postpone my thesis defense in France, I consequently would not have my Doctor degree.

So, I came to France, I defended my thesis on February 28thn with honour! 20 days after my defense, the general quarantine took place in France. University has closed the doors, all schools, restaurants and etc., and all ‘non-essential services’. Other doctoral theses and master's defenses were postponed, and all activity on the university was shut down. So, once again, it was just in time for me (bad that other couldn’t make it).

A point that deserved to be mentioned is that, in my office I had a Chinese friend exactly from Wuhan (the pinpoint of the virus), and... he was there 4 month before the outbreak there. I was a bit afraid, but things went well.

At this moment, as I was still finishing the scientific work of the thesis, for example the final version of my thesis or the papers for journal in my area (rock deformation), I took the opportunity to work at home calmly, easy. Keeping my brain in gears. At the same time, as I was really tired of all the work in Italy and France to prepare the thesis volume and the defense for the jury, then I at the same time I’m working from home I’m trying to rest a little. I rested a little. Watching movies, 3 or 4 per week, some series, jogging, but working during the day from my computer. I’m going out every 10, 15 days to buy food only. I know that not everyone needs or has to be productive in this difficult period, but I want to be. I take that as a challenge. So, I already submitted 2 scientific papers to be published, and I am about to finish the final version of the thesis (the one that will be available for the unit).

I was supposed to go to the USA to start a post-doc on June this year, but now, it was postponed. As soon as the France borders open, I go. I would say around September. Or just in January. That is fine. I’m okay about. I taking advantage to stay with my girlfriend at home (since we’re going to split for a while when I go to USA). I am trying to enjoy the moment with her, cook, drink a wine, discuss.

Lucan Mameri


Georgien


Tamar Chinchaladze 


🇩🇪 Deutsch

Also Georgische Regierung hat entschieden keine weitere Fluge geben damit keine aus verschiedene Länder rein kommt und es gibt extra Flug von verschiedene Länder extra für unsere Leute wer in verschieden Länder geblieben, aber alle müssen 14 Tage direkt von Flughafen in Quarantäne gehen in verschiedene Städte im Hotel und natürlich diese 14 Tage ist kostenlos. Wenn jemand während dieser Zeit Symptomen hat, dann wird direkt getestet. Am Anfang war nicht so, dass alle 14 Tage im Quarantäne sein sollte, aber mansche wer von verschiedene Länder angekommen sind, normalerweise mussten zu Hause bleiben - aber weil sie nicht zuhause geblieben sind, und wer Corona hatte, hat anderen auch angesteckt. Alles wurde geschlossen außer Apotheke und Lebensmittel Geschäfte  Es darf max. zu 3. Leute zusammen sein. Alles Verkehr fahrt nicht mehr, nur Taxi und mit eigenen Auto darf man fahren. Ab 21 Uhr bis 06:00 Uhr ist voll Quarantäne Zeit: keine darf raus sonst wird strafe 3000 Lari bekommen. Bei uns, wenn jemand nur eine Symptom hat z.B. nur Husten oder nur Temperatur aber auch nicht so hoch z.b 37,2, wird sowieso getestet, weil es solche Fälle haben, von Menschen auch war mit diese Temperatur der Coronavirus hatte. In einer Stadt, eine Familie hatte diese Virus, deshalb Georgische Regierung hat entschieden ganze Stadt zu zu machen also keine darf raus und rein - da müssen alle zuhause bleiben. Bei uns versuchen weitere Kontakten finden und auch zu testen. Leider soweit wurden 3 gestorben aber jede war über 80 Jahre alt und alle hatte neben Krankheiten.

Tamar Chinchaladze


Indonesien


Dewi Nuryia


🇩🇪 Deutsch

Ich bin noch in Deutschland, aber ich kann etwas über Corona in Indonesien erzählen.

Es gibt momentan über 5000 Infizierte und über 400 töte! Und es wird jeden Tag immer mehr. Am Anfang haben die Leute in Indonesien auch nicht wahrgenommen bis jetzt mit der Situation. Bei uns haben wir auch Eingangsbeschränkung, Maske zu tragen ist auch Pflicht! Die Schule und Einkaufszentrum sind seit 3 Wochen zu.

Supermärkte nur bis 17 Uhr auf, und traditional Markt sogar nur bis 12 Uhr.

Was bei uns schlimm ist, viele Infizierte nehmen das nicht ernst, erst wenn die Symptome verschlimmert wird gehen die ins Krankenhaus , deswegen ist die Todeszahl bei uns sehr hoch.

Dewi Nuryia


Israel


Julia Haussmann


🇩🇪 Deutsch

Hallo Jana, wie geht es dir? Schön, von dir zu hören, auch wenn es schönere Umstände sein könnten. Ich lebe ja jetzt seit einigen Jahren in Israel und hier sind die Maßnahmen seit Mitte März sehr streng. Wir haben keinen Kindergarten mehr, Schulen und Universitäten sind auch geschlossen. Das gesamte öffentliche Leben steht im Prinzip seit 13.03.2020 still (also jetzt schon fast einen Monat). Wir dürfen das Haus nur 100m zum Gassigehen, zum Einkaufen und für medizinische Sachen verlassen. Und dann auch nur mit einem Mundschutz und mit Abstand von 2 m. Die Gesellschaft hier ist gespalten manche haben wirklich Panik vor dem Virus, andere versuchen ihren Weg um die Restriktionen zu finden. Ich bin mit meiner Familie ein bisschen dazwischen. Wir haben keinen physischen Kontakt mehr zu anderen Menschen, aber wir verlassen das Haus häufiger wir haben einen Hund und nutzen ihn als Entschuldigung. Die Straßen sind leer, Spielplätze geschlossen, es ist ein bisschen apokalyptisch 🙂 aber es geht uns gut und wir sind gesund. Ich wünsche dir frohe Ostern, wenn du noch etwas wissen willst, dann schreib gerne! Viele liebe Grüße nach Brasilien.

Julia


Italien


Alice Speziale, Roma


🇬🇧 Englich 

The last three years of my life have been very intense. I lived and worked in Germany and at the same time I finished my studies in Italy remotely. I worked part time in a office and the rest of the time I studied and tried to go out as much as possible with my friends. I often went back to Italy to see my family and to review my thesis with the professor. In short 3 quite stressful years.

I don’t consider myself a calm person. I don't like being without nothing to do and I don't like spending time with myself. When I’m alone I think too much and I tend to fall into a loop of negative thoughts. For this reason, I fill my agenda with things to do. Despite this, I am happy to have this temperament because thanks to my inexhaustible energy in these years I have lived many experiences. These experiences made me feel alive, but at the same time I suffered because I’ve never took the time for myself and to feel stable somewhere in the world. I suffer from what I have called “fear of missing out something in my life”. For this reason, I usually to accept all the opportunities that life brings to me.

Obviously, I had already planned my life after the graduation. After the end of my studies, which happened a month ago, I should have gone to Bolivia where I would have worked for a year as a volunteer in an NGO. For this reason, I quitted my job and left my flat in Germany to come back to Italy and prepare myself to go to Bolivia.  The pandemic has changed everything, not only my plans, but also my lifestyle: going from not having the time to cook to having 24 hours a day for myself, without any kind of commitment since I don't study, I don't work, I don't have children, a boyfriend or a pet!  In short: horrible. A person like me is not prepared for something like this.

To avoid being alone I decided to stay in the same flat with my mother (mother that  I love but with whom I have a very contentious relationship) and I spent the beginning of the quarantine jumping from a hobby to another and video calling all my friends.

Over the time something has changed: Skype calls decreased, movies and series were less interesting and my hobbies started to don’t attract me anymore. Something was happening. I was relaxing. I was spending time with myself. After a week, due to my continuous fight with my mother which were consuming my energy, I decide to live alone. In all my life I have never had the courage of such an action, to decide, in a self-consenting way, to stay by myself.

Without realizing it, I was facing my fears of loneliness.

For a long time, I have been afraid of this invisible enemy, trying to avoid it in every way. Being alone physically is teaching me a lot. I realized that people don't know how to be alone. Because of that they don’t respect themselves doing things that they don’t like to do and staying with people who don’t make them happy.

I realized that being alone and take time for myself is not as frightening as I thought. And I understood that I needed that: to stop and recharge my energies.

I live this period as a period of extreme calmness, where I don't need anything or anyone, where I am learning to be with myself.

I think this period will be useful for many people to deal with problems and fears that we have tried to avoid for long time.

I am curious to see how I will approach my life when this quarantine is over.

Alice Speaziale


María Gabriela Arrom


🇩🇪 Deutsch

Ich habe niemals gedacht, es so sein wurde. Ich komme aus Paraguay und meine Traum war immer in Europa zu Studieren und so bin ich nach Italien gekommen um eine Erasmus Semester zu machen.

Ich betrachte mich als eine sehr vielseitige Person, und deshalb es ist auch gut und einfach für mich in einer neuen Situation zu adaptieren.

Ich bin weit weg von meiner Familie aber ich wusste schon es so sein sollte und ich vermisse sie auch nicht. Ich wohne im Hause einer Freundin aber sie ist gerade nicht dabei. Ihre Eltern haben mich als Tochter “adoptiert“ und ich finde es ganz nett von ihnen.

Manchmal ist das Zusammenleben kompliziert; ich versuche immer keine Probleme zu machen und, weil ich hier kostenlos lebe, wenn sich mich jedes Mal um einen Gefallen bitten, mache ich es ohne Frage. Es ist nur das manchmal habe ich das Gefühl das sie bitten mich zu viele Arbeit zu machen und weil ich aus einem anderen Land mit anderer Kultur komme, viele Dinge werden anders gemacht als hier. Oft fragen sie mich, ob ich niemals zuvor zu Hause in meinem Land gekocht habe. Also natürlich habe ich schon gekocht, aber in Paraguay essen wie was anders und kochen wir mit anderen Methoden. Das macht es ein bisschen schwierig aber außerdem mir geht es ganz gut. Ich lerne mit meinen Online Kursen, was ich sehr mag, und ich versuche jeden Tag ein bisschen Sport zu machen, z.B. manchmal mache ich Gymnastik zuhause, manchmal gehe ich auch raus zum Jogging oder einfach zum Spazierengehen. Um einen ruhigen Geist zu haben, kann Sport durchaus hilfreich sein. Auch so lesen, singen, schreiben. Ich liebe schreiben, da es mir zu beruhigen hilft. Als ich in ein Buch gelesen habe das “ein Kunstwerk ist gut, wenn es aus einem intimen Bedürfnis heraus geboren wurde“ – also ich betrachte das Schreiben als meine Kunst.

Ich denke gerne, dass Quarantäne eine große Chance zum Lernen ist, unser Inneres zu erkunden um zu sehen und denken, was wir falsch machen. Zudem gibt es uns einer Gelegenheit zu lernen, die wesentlichen Dingen im Leben zu schätzen. Ich wünsche euch viel Kraft und Geduld, wir werden es überwinden.

Gabriela Arrom


Kanada


Lisa Letzkuss


🇬🇧 Englich 

Canada and Germany react and behave very similar in this crisis. The government shut down institutions and public spaces quite quickly and it looks like the isolation will go on till end of June, at least as of right now. It means that I wont be able to go back to school before the summer break. We are still allowed to do grocery shopping but only by yourself and only 5 people at a time can enter the store, and you have to keep distance at all times. We are still allowed to go out for walks and runs but we can't gather anywhere. The government is helping out people financially whether that is to help you pay your rent or to still receive 80% of your income without being able to go to work (similar to Kurzarbeit). Canada has, similarly to Germany, a social welfare that is supporting a lot of people at the moment and the health care system is also managing ok compared to the US or other countries. Brendan and I are very lucky as our jobs are still important and relevant to society, so we both work from home and we actually enjoy having to commute less and being able to spend more time for healthy cooking etc. I teach online and it is so important to give students a routine and structure right now. We see each other online and I teach more kids yoga classes via Zoom these days. Kids need tools on how to keep their busy minds still and how to train their mind and keep a mental hygiene more than ever. And they really enjoy it, suck it up and open up to me. I feel more important than ever, since I also have conversational classes with old people and they really crave for conversations. So we have extended this program as well.

In Canada, like everywhere else in the world as I imagine, there are two kinds of people. The first group stays optimistic and doesn't loose trust and hope in a better world. These people are very creative now and start to serve the neighborhood and make art. We have received and offered a lot of letters and oral offers of help from and to neighbours. We are starting to get to know our neighbours very well and its so wonderful. I had a 2-hour chat with my neighbour last Monday and she even gave me some kids yoga material as a present and I help her walk her dog. Lots of people are baking more, so it is hard to get flower. We have a very uplifting sign in our street and lots of kids are drawing hearts and rainbows on the windows. Neighborhoods are starting to do music together every day and people dream and imagine a better and changed world after this. I belong to the first group and I enjoy my new, more quiet routine since it feels less stressed and hectic. You might interact with less people, but the interactions feel more real, and deep, and true. I experience a huge income of creativity. I journal everyday, I do yoga and breath work everyday, I meditate everyday, I spend time in nature everyday, and I have become very creative lately, and I have a lot of energy and I really feel needed and feel like a live my purpose more than ever, especially with the kids yoga classes.

The second kind of people are frozen in a state of fear and panic and they increase this fear by over-consuming the news or horror movies everyday. These are the people that start shouting at you in the line and that might become sick (not from the virus) just from the panic as the immune system gets weakened by fear. It is good to be careful these days and wash your hands, but some people wear several masks, full body protection and gloves, and you can see their fear in their eyes from a distance. They are stuck in this state and can't imagine a better future. They feel a lack of everything in their lives and they don't treat themselves or others well, which ultimately means they don't attract anything good into their lives.

Fear is a normal and important emotion and reaction to the situation since there is a real threat, and we wouldn't be alive if we never felt fear, however, it is extremely unhealthy to live in a constant state of fear. It will def weaken your immune system and general health. I recommend people taking good care of their physical and mental routine (cleaning your body and your mind likewise), eating healthy, fresh air, movement, drawing, making music, doing whatever it is that makes you feel better. I personally started a living room party every day at 9 pm, and for one hour everyday I do something that brings complete joy into my life. Joy has a much higher frequency and is so good to feel these days. Sometimes I have a dance party with friends over Zoom, sometimes I meditate, play the Ukulele or paint. It can be anything that brings joy to your life. Another important practice that I do is my gratitude practice. Every night before going to bed I write down what I was grateful for this day and for the weekly highlight we keep a gratitude jar.

Helping and serving people in any way you can is also very uplifting and powerful. I like seeing how old and young people show a lot of solidarity to each other. I think the current state of the world being literally unhealthy from in and outside, being littered and having a virus spreading around reflects the inner state of mind of most people. We think bad thoughts everyday that spread like a virus and we don't treat each other well with our thoughts. It is time to use this forced slowed-down time to heal ourselves from the inside, to shift towards more respectful and positive thoughts towards us and everyone else and the planet. Mama earth is a good evidence of how quickly things can recover and heal so let's start with ourselves right now.

All the best
Lisa

Nicaragua


Martin Miranda


🇩🇪 Deutsch

Hallo, ich bin Martin Miranda aus Nicaragua. Ich lebe derzeit in Deutschland, aber ich bin mir der Situation in meinem Land aufgrund der direkten Kommunikation mit meiner Familie, meinen Freunden und auch durch das Lesen der Medien bewusst. 

In Nicaragua hat die Regierung der Weltlage keine Bedeutung gegeben und sich von den Empfehlungen der WHO (Weltgesundheitsorganisation) isoliert. Um den Ernst der Lage in den Kontext zu stellen, möchte ich zunächst Folgendes bekannt machen. Das Land befindet sich derzeit in einer politischen Krise, die vor zwei Jahren aufgrund von Anti-Regierungsdemonstrationen begann, bei denen mehrere Menschen getötet und Tausende weitere inhaftiert wurden. Die Regierung hat jedoch viele "Loyalisten", die blind den Befehlen der Regierung folgen. Die derzeitige Präsidentschaft besteht aus Präsident Daniel Ortega und der Vizepräsidentin, seiner Frau, Rosario Murillo. Sie sind seit Beginn der Pandemie nicht mehr in der Öffentlichkeit gewesen und sie sind die einzige Regierung in Mittelamerika, die keine Präventivmaßnahmen zur Bekämpfung dieser Pandemie angeordnet hat. Sogar die Regierungsministerien organisieren Pro Regierungs Märsche, um so zu tun, als sei alles normal und als würde das Virus ihnen nicht schaden. 

In offiziellen Mitteilungen, die von den Regierungsmedien übermittelt wurden, bekräftigte Vizepräsident Murillo, dass die Regierung Nicaraguas eine ausgezeichnete Arbeit leistet und dass "Gott" Nicaragua geholfen hat.  Einige "Loyalisten" standen dieser Situation schon früher skeptisch gegenüber, denn dank internationaler Nachrichten und sozialer Netzwerke, die über das Ausmaß der Katastrophe berichten, die die ganze Welt erlebt, ist es unmöglich, dass der Virus in Nicaragua anders wirkt und einfach so wenige Leute infiziert. Der Staat hat offiziell bekannt gegeben, dass es insgesamt nur 9 Infizierte gibt, eine völlig unlogische Zahl, da die Nachbarländer, die alle oder die meisten Empfehlungen der WHO befolgen, bereits zwischen hunderten und tausenden von Fällen melden. 

Eine große Anteil der Bevölkerung ist also tätig geworden und ignoriert die Gleichgültigkeit der Regierung gegenüber der Situation und hat beschlossen, die Sache in die eigenen Hände zu nehmen. Zum Beispiel, viele Leute schicken sie ihre Kinder nicht zur Schule oder hat mehrere Geschäfte geschlossen, sogar viele Geschäfte und Märkte, die noch geöffnet sind, verfügen über präventive Desinfektionsmittel für die Kunden und improvisierte Spülbecken, auf denen man sich die Hände waschen kann. Viele gehen auch mit Maske durch die Straßen. 

Natürlich will die Regierung keine Maßnahmen verordnen, da dies ihren Finanzen schaden würde, denn sie besitzt fast alle Unternehmen in Nicaragua. Natürlich wirkt sich die Wirtschaft auf alles aus, und besonders Nicaragua, eines der ärmsten Länder der westlichen Hemisphäre, wird wirtschaftlich am Boden zerstört sein. Aber dies geschieht auf globaler Ebene, so dass von all dem nichts Gutes für das Land erwartet wird. Meine Familie ist zu Hause, und obwohl viele meiner Verwandten selbständig sind, leben sie von Ersparnissen oder viele helfen sich einander. Natürlich, für viele gibt es keine Wahl und müssen einen Weg finden, Geld zu machen, aber das ist nichts neues für viele. 

Freunde, die für private Institutionen arbeiten, sagen, dass viele aufgehört haben zu arbeiten und von zu Hause aus arbeiten oder überhaupt nicht arbeiten. Die Bevölkerung ergreift also die notwendigen Maßnahmen. In letzter Zeit haben auch Freunde oder Verwandte, die Personen kennen, die im Gesundheitssektor arbeiten, gesagt, dass in letzter Zeit mehrere Todesfälle durch Lungenentzündung gemeldet wurden. Das ist ziemlich alarmierend, denn auch wenn nicht bestätigt ist, dass es sich um COVID-19 handeln könnte, kann man sich bei der derzeitigen Situation nur das Schlimmste vorstellen.

Martin Miranda


Nigeria


Azeez Abiodun


Hi Jana,

Thanks for according me with the honor to write about my personal experience during the corona pandemic in Germany, and its effect in my home country, Nigeria. For me, the Corona situation has dealt me a big blow because I was laid off from work in the third week of March which to an extent would land me in limbo if the lockdown and being away from work persists. Aside being away from work its effect has not been enormous nor negative to me in anyway because I am the type who keeps to myself a lot and spend most of my time in door. But I do go out for shopping and cycling, and I find these activities very exhilarating. Also, I have kept my intake morsel, and the result for this habit has been significant which means I have not added any weight like a lot of people who have been at home during the pandemic.

The Corona situation in Nigeria has not been easy even though the rate of people suffering from this virus is not much in comparison to a lot of European countries and the U.S. According to the Nigeria center for Disease Control, 782 people are suffering from Corona in Nigeria while 197 have recovered and 25 deaths have been recorded. These given statistics are as of today, April 22. I am of the opinion just like many Nigerians that a lot of people might be affected but because we have not been testing people aggressively that's why we have not recorded a lot of cases.

The first index case in Nigeria was an Italian consultant who had just left Italy for Nigeria, and some of the sufferers are Nigerians who left the shores of their countries of residence for their home country Nigeria. Two government officals have also died, but the straw that broke the camel's back was when the Nigerian chief of staff who was in Germany to negotiate with Siemens about how power could be improved in Nigeria contracted the virus while in Germany and died after 26 days in a Nigerian hospital. His death caused a lot of mixed reactions because he is termed to be the de facto president of Nigeria. He is got underlying health problems according to the Nigerian media. Prior to the Corona outbreak, a lot of funds had been budgeted for renovation of the National hospital in Abuja which is the capital of Nigeria, but these funds were not spent on the supposed project. This contributed to why a lot of Nigerians were happy about the chief of staff's death. One of the famous comments I read goes as follow, "if the government which the present chief of staff is a part and parcel of had spent a lot of money on the Nigerian health sector maybe he won't have died." For any reasonable government the corona pandemic should be the game changer.

Also, Nigeria is in the third week of a lockdown which has angered the populace because a lot of people depend on their daily income, but with the lockdown earning money daily has become impossible. Many poor Nigerians have also shunned the lockdown and trooped to the street to register their displeasure. Many are of the notion that corona affects the rich and not the common man which to me sounds funny. Hunger virus is deadlier than corona virus is an anthem a lot of Nigerians are signing lol!

Rounding this up I would love to say that the Nigerian government have not done any exceptional even though they introduced some measures to help with masses during the lockdown.

Do have a good day Jana.

Regards,

Azeez


Österreich


Elisabeth Mürzl, Viena


🇦🇹 Deutsch

Wie in vielen anderen Ländern Europas ist das Leben in Österreich derzeit anders, als wir es bisher gewohnt waren. Das öffentliche Leben wurde aufgrund der Corona-Pandemie stark eingeschränkt: Ausgangsbeschränkungen, geschlossene Schulen, Universitäten, Kindergärten und Geschäfte, Maskenpflicht in Supermärkten. Das eigene Zuhause zu verlassen war nur zu drei Zwecken erlaubt: um zu arbeiten, notwendige Besorgungen zu erledigen oder jemand anderes zu helfen (z.B.: um Einkäufe für Personen aus besonders gefährdeten Gruppen zu erledigen). Zuhause zu bleiben ist für mich zum Glück kein Problem. Ich wohne in einer netten Wohnung, kann meinem Studium auch von zuhause aus nachgehen; ich habe einen Balkon und einen lieben Mitbewohner. Nicht nur in diesen Zeiten ist das alles ein Privileg. 

Wenn ich mir Gedanken über die aktuelle (politische) Lage mache, fallen mir viele Punkte ein, ein paar davon schreibe ich hier auf: ich als Bürgerin finde es wichtig, dass beispielsweise die Protokolle der Sitzungen des Krisenstabs, aufgrund derer die Regierungen über weitere Maßnahmen entscheidet, öffentlich gemacht werden. Nur so kann das Handeln der Regierung transparent sein und sich auch Kritik aussetzen. Und Kritik ist absolut notwendig für eine vitale Demokratie. 

Eine weitere Beobachtung: für viele Menschen ist das Dashboard mit den aktuellen Zahlen für Infizierte und Todesfälle zu einer Soap Opera geworden ist. Gerade jetzt sollten wir uns die Zeit für Diskussionsrunden und Hintergrundgespräche nehmen, und uns nicht selbst mit einem Blick auf ein Dashboard in Panik versetzen. 

Dass oft das Wissen zur Übertragbarkeit eines Virus fehlt, zeigt mir in den letzten Tagen auch das falsche Tragen eines Mund- und Nasenschutzes (nur über den Mund, mit den Fingern auf den Stoff greifen, den Schutz nach dem Tragen einfach runter auf den Hals ziehen und was einer* / einem da noch so alles einfallen könnte). Nein, ein falsch verwendeter Mund- und Nasenschutz ist nicht besser als gar keiner. 

Wenn ich meine persönliche Lage gerade zusammenfassen müsste, dann wohl so: Ich bleibe zuhause und kritisch, das schließt sich nicht aus.

(Und noch ein Appell an alle in sogenannten Nicht-Risikogruppen; wir wissen, dass wir wenig wissen. Die Langzeitfolgen einer überstanden Covid19-Infektion sind schlicht noch nicht bekannt.)

Elisabeth Mürzl 


Peru


Jonathan Lapel, Lima


🇩🇪 Deutsch 

Ja hier bei mir geht es relativ gut zum Glück! Zum Glück habe ich Arbeit und noch ein regelmäßigen Gehalt. Sehr sehr viele Leute haben ihre Arbeit verloren.

Ich erzähl dir mal welche Maßnahmen die Regierung genommen hat. Am 15 März hat die Quarentäne begonnen. Alle müssen zu hause bleiben außer, man geht Ernährungsmittel kaufen oder man muss zur Bank oder Apotheke.

Die Quarentäne ging erstmal vom 16. März bis zum 30. März, wurde aber bis zum 12 April verlängert. Und heute wurde es nochmal bis zum 26 April verlängert.

Noch dazu gibt es eine Ausgangssperre ab 18 Uhr bis 4Uhr morgens.

Das bedeutet alle Geschäfte, Bänke, Märkte, usw müssen ungefähr um 15 oder 16 Uhr schließen, damit die Arbeiter noch rechtzeitig nach hause können.

Für die Armen (Leute die tag für tag arbeiten müssen um das Brot des tages kaufen zu könnnen), hat der staat 380 soles pro familie verteilt. Und dann nochmal als die Quarentäne verlängert wurde. Das reicht knapp um Ernährung für 2 Wochen zu kaufen.

Eine weitere Maßnahme war, dass Leute die momentan keine Arbeit haben, aber etwas Geld für die Pension gespart haben. (normalerweise darf man dieses Geld nicht berühren), Jetzt dürfen diese Leute (Arbeitslose), bis 2000 soles abheben.

Emm kurze Zusammenfassung :
1. Quarentäne 15/03/2020-26/04/2020
2. Nur einer pro Familie darf aus dem Haus, und nur um Ernährung zu kaufen.
3. Ausgangssperre ab 18uhr bis 4uhr, wenn man dich draußen sieht wirt man eingesperrt.
4. 380 soles für 2 wochen quarentäne für die ganz ganz armen.
5. Wenn man arbeitslos ist und geld für die Pension gespart hat, darf man bis zu 2000 soles abheben.
6. Man muss eine Maske anhaben wenn man aus den Haus geht.

Jonathan Lapel


Russland


Anonymous


🇩🇪 Deutsch

Hey! Also die Corona Lage in Russland spitzt sich langsam zu, aber die offizielle Statistik besagt, es sei alles nicht so schlimm. Na ja, nichts neues. Dieses Verschweigen und Lügen gehören ja zur Diktaturen.

Am 28.03. wurde das Quarantäne in Russland eingeführt und mittlerweile bis Mai verlängert. So wie in anderen Ländern müssen sich alle in die Selbstisolation begeben und dürfen das Haus nur wegen Einkaufen und etwas dringlichem verlassen. Hierfür benötigst du so eine Art Passierschein, welcher sich mittlerweile im Internet ausstellen lässt. Die Spaziergänge sind nicht erlaubt. Meine Schwester hat 2 Kinder und die drehen langsam durch in der Wohnung:) es gibt keine Maskenpflicht und auf den notwendigen Abstand wird nicht so strikt geachtet.

Was medizinische Versorgung angeht, die ist vom Region zu Region sehr unterschiedlich. Es fehlt überall an Schutzkleidung, Tests und Masken. Manche Ärzte haben sogar Petitionen im Internet aufgerufen, mit der Bitte um Unterstützung. Das Personal darf nicht über die wahre Lage reden, um Leute nicht in die Panik zu versetzen. Laut unserer Presse befinden sich momentan viele Patienten auf IST Stationen mit der Diagnose: Pneumonie.

Wegen der Corona Lage musste das für den 22.04. geplante Referendum, wobei um die Änderung der Konstitution und sprich um die endgültigen Festigung der Putins Macht geht, verschoben werden. Das Victory Day Parade am 09.Mai musste auch verschoben werden. Gehört ja auch zu unserer Propaganda.

Als alle Einrichtungen geschlossen wurden, dürften die Kirchen weiter offen bleiben. Na ja, jetzt aber nicht mehr, da viele Leite sind in die Kirche gegangen. Es war ja auch Zeit vor Ostern.


Südafrika


Marius Polak


🇩🇪 Deutsch

Wie du vielleicht weißt bin ich seit Juli 2019 in Südafrika und engagiere mich hier bei einem sozialen Projekt. Corona hat Südafrika etwa 1 bis 1,5 Wochen nach Deutschland erreicht. Die Regierung hat erstaunlich schnell, aber gleichzeitig auch extrem hart reagiert. Innerhalb von etwas mehr als einer Woche wurde ein Lockdown eingeführt, der einer der härtesten und strengsten Lockdowns der Welt ist.

Am 26.03.2020 begann der Lockdown und war ursprünglich für drei Wochen angesetzt. Vor einigen Tagen wurde er allerdings um zwei weitere Wochen verlängert.

Während des Lockdowns darf man seine Wohnung nur noch in wenigen Ausnahmen verlassen. Dazu gehört: Lebensmittel (ausschließlich) kaufen, Sozialhilfe empfangen und bei der Bank einlösen, zur Apotheke und ins Krankenhaus gehen. Alles andere wird streng bestraft mit einer Geldstrafe von ca. 270€ oder einer Gefängnisstrafe. 270€ ist für viele Südafrikaner*innen mehr ein Monatsgehalt oder mehr. Für den Großteil allerdings ist es weitaus mehr als das, da in Südafrika die arme Bevölkerung den weitaus größeren Teil in Südafrika ausmacht.

Besonders die Menschen, die in den Townships (vergleichbar mit Slums oder Favelas) leben trifft der Lockdown besonders hart. Viele Menschen dort sind Tagelöhner, leben vom einen Tag in den nächsten und müssen nun schauen wie sie sich mit Lebensmitteln versorgen können.

Dazu kommt das ein Social Distancing in den Townships quasi unmöglich ist, da die Häuser häufig nur einfache Blechverschläge sind, die wenigsten haben fließend Wasser, eine Toilette oder eine Dusche. Es gibt meistens Sanitäranlagen, die gemeinschaftlich genutzt werden. Dies bedeuted auch, dass ein Ausbruch von Corona dort besonders schlimm wäre, da es keine Möglichkeiten gibt sich von anderen Menschen zu distanzieren.

Verstärkt kommt hinzu, dass die Gesundheitsversorgung hier zwar, im Vergleich zu anderen afrikanischen Ländern, gut ist, aber bei weitem noch nicht angemessen in Relation zur Bevölkerungsanzahl.

Seit rund einer Woche gibt es Programme, die Menschen aus den Townships und ärmeren Nachbarschaften mit Lebensmitteln versorgt, dies läuft allerdings nur schleppend voran weil es nicht genügend Helfer*innen gibt und weil ausgewertet werden muss welche Region am schlimmsten betroffen ist um dort so schnell wie möglich zu helfen.

Trotz allem bin ich sehr froh, dass die Regierung einen so strengen Lockdown festgelegt hat, denn das ist aktuell der einzige Weg einen noch schlimmeren Ausbruch des Virus zu verhindern.

Ich selbst habe mich vor einigen Tagen dazu entschieden an dem Rückholprogramm der Bundesregierung nach Deutschland teilzunehmen, da der Lockdown verlängert wurde und eine Heimreise, wie ursprünglich geplant im Juli, immer unwahrscheinlicher wird. Zumal man auch davon ausgehen kann, dass die Unruhen im Land, überfälle, einbrüche etc. weiter ansteigen werden, da viele Menschen sich nicht mehr leisten können Lebensmittel zu kaufen die ohnehin teurer geworden sind in den letzten Wochen.

So, ich hoffe der kurze Bericht gibt dir ein bisschen einen Einblick in das Leben in Südafrika :) Falls du noch was wissen möchtest kannst du gerne nachfragen!

Liebe Grüße
Marius


Uganda


Janet Nkuraija


🇺🇬 English

This started as a joke here in Uganda and it seemed like a disease which was far away from us. In fact we heard about it in news, but didn’t take it seriously, not until it reached Italy. Around this time I was preparing for our partnership visit to Germany and we went on with our plans not knowing that they will be stopped by this disease.

At the beginning of March 2020, we started the discussion whether to proceed with our journey or not. The discussions went back and forth and we agreed to proceed with our journey to Germany. But two days before our departure one of our partners called me and informed me about what would happen to us, if we continued with our journey, since he had contacted the Ugandan embassy in Germany. He had been informed that we can proceed with our journey but when we come back to Uganda we would be quarantined for Fourteen (14) days at our own cost. He asked us if we were okay with it, I consulted my colleagues and they were all okay. But on Saturday we received an email asking us to cancel our journey for our own good. That is when it dawned on me that this sickness was serious.

This was on Saturday 7th March 2020, when I received this email, from then on, I developed interest to find out more about this disease. Up till this time we had no case in Uganda. We registered our first case on the 22nd day of March 2020. As of yesterday 20th April 2020 we had 55 confirmed cases, Two (2) of which are Chinese, no deaths and 38 recoveries.

We had the first televised address of H.E The President of Uganda on the 18th March 2020. During his address he banned public gatherings, including closing of all schools, Church service, entertainment events and weddings of more than Ten (10) people for a period of One (1) Month. On 21st March 2020 he again addressed the country, where he announced that Uganda would by Monday 23rd March 2020, block all passenger flights into Uganda as well as entry of people into the Country by road and water, as part of measures to prevent the spread of the coronavirus. Exception was only given for Cargo Planes or Trucks.

Life was still normal since we were allowed to move inside the country, but when public means was banned and eventually even private cars banned apart from the ones with stickers (only essential workers like; Health workers) on the 30th March 2020 that is when it dawned on us, that the Government had taken the measures to curb the spread of COVID-19 seriously.

This directive for limited movement was for 14 days, but most of my friends including myself thought that how could we manage without going to Church, since Uganda is a very religious country. But for the sake of our safety we agreed to adhere to the rules. It was at this time that our Church thought of a way to reach us through social media. This was good because we were able to follow online the Church Service. But we missed the coming together and celebrating the feasts especially the Holy week & Easter. I remember my five (5) year old son told us not to eat till his Cousins, Aunts and Uncles had arrived, because for him a feast was for a big family. We had to tell him that they are not coming and he said; “but I have prayed that this coronavirus goes, why is it not going?” He has a lot of questions and as a result he knows so much about the disease at his tender age. He finally allowed us to have our Easter lunch, but it was like any other ordinary day. We missed the big family and the coming together and feasting as one big family.

Therefore, as a result of Covid-19, a lot changed, no more going to Church, no more family gatherings, we have to limit our movement to the market and only go if it is a must. Personally I miss the fresh bread I was able to have every day. In the community some people can barely find something to eat since most of them were living from hand to mouth. Fortunately the government came up with a program to distribute maize flour and beans to these persons. This was a great relief since most underprivileged people I know were coming to me asking for food. Many people/companies of good will have also come out to support the government by making donations. This was a great relief to me, since my worry was always that; if us who are assured of our salary even when we work from home are finding it difficult, what about those who have to work every day to put food on their table.

My greatest fear is; will life go back to normal where we hug and greet each other normally? When will schools resume? When will this pandemic end? Every night I pray to God to save us and save all my friends worldwide from this pandemic. I am looking forward to the end of this all.

To pass time and to keep healthy we have begun aerobics or physical exercises once every Two (2) days from our compound outside. Once in a week we walk to the market for about Twenty (20) kilometers to and fro, to buy some fresh foods and store in the fridge.

My other worry is the many friends who are losing their jobs as a result of this pandemic. How will this disease affect our economy? All these are my questions from which I have no answers.

At the beginning of March, 2020, I was always watching international news to get the update on this virus as a way to pass time. But I realized that it was affecting me psychologically so I limited my time of watching. But what it taught me is that many people are suffering and that the most painful is dying alone without your loved ones around you. Life will never be the same again after this all. I am touched by the nurses and doctors who work hard to ensure that all is well, putting their life at risk.

The only advantage I see that we got from this pandemic, is having time together as a family every single day, since before this we were all busy and only meeting in the night.

When the 14 days were over the President addressed us again and said that for our own safety he was extending the Lock-Down for Twenty (21) more days till the 5th day of May 2020. This now makes times tough not only because of the fears of infection but also because of poverty. Uganda’s poor person is bearing the brunt of a nationwide shutdown.

My other fear is how and when will the Lock-Down end? When will the medical cure be got? It has completely changed our day to day lives. The government imposed a curfew from 7:00pm in the evening to dawn at 6.30am in the morning. Because of the curfew, when you are out on the roadside you see people rushing not to be caught by the Police and the Local Defense Unit. This has now made our life so programed and we live in fear of this virus.

We continue to pray for the Medical Staff, for ourselves, family & friends. May the Almighty God save us from this Coronavirus.

Janet Nkuraija


Vereinigte Staaten


Ade Salawu


🇺🇸 English 

Am fine and my family is doing great and I bless God non of my friend or my love once is a victim of the pandemic and I believe you are keeping yourself safe too and my regards to your bf as well. I only watch this on the news. My little bit of concern is what the world will look like immediately this virus have been conquer and fully cured.

Ade Salawu


Benjamin Diemer, Virgínia


🇺🇸 English 

Hi Jana, I’ll be happy to add my story to your list, if you like. It’s pretty simple. 

I’m extremely lucky. In fact, I’ve been so fortunate so far (virtual knock on wood) that I feel kind of guilty. I think of all of my friends who are still waiting tables, tending bar, teaching English… My job told me to go home and is still paying me. My wife has always worked from home (she is a translator and most of her clients are in Italy), so there has been no change in her work. Staying home is no hardship for us, since we both have lots of hobbies and we can still get out for morning runs. The only additional responsibility we’ve taken on is to go food shopping for her parents. 

We’re in the Shenandoah Valley, in Virginia. There have been confirmed cases around and there have been losses, but the impact seems pretty limited, so far. Folks here have adapted pretty quickly and really pulled together. A bunch of restaurants shifted over to offering take-out or delivery and a number of shops have done the same. One of the big concerns was that the theater would fail (it’s a big operation and brings in a lot of tourists), but once they got the word out the response was enormous. How the rest of the town will fare is anyone’s guess. We’re a pretty small city, if vibrant, and there are a lot of small businesses. Like the rest of the world, it really depends on the people who have the most. 

The one thing that we don’t have is a national plan. Our elected head disavows all responsibility, while still claiming authority. That is the most frightening thing. Responses to the crisis vary from state to state. You can’t tell how bad the spread is because there aren’t nearly enough testing kits (or labs or scientists). My parents are in New Jersey. I have people in NYC and other hot spots too. Governors are doing their best, but they are receiving conflicting information and little support. Every politician is so busy scrambling to take care of their own constituents that they don’t think about anyone else. What should be our greatest strength has turned into our Achilles heel. 

My one great hope is that we will learn from this and grow stronger. Businesses evolve. People engage with their communities. Families become tighter knit. We recognize the true value of the arts. I hope that following this catastrophe we will learn that we all depend on each other and become just a little kinder.

Benjamin Diemer

0 comentário(s)